Installing the RealSlim plugin involves the following steps:
- Checking to see that your setup meets the system requirements for the plugin.
- Installing the plugin module itself.
- Fetching LAME if you use a SliMP3 (as opposed
to a Squeezebox) or use the "Always compress content" preference option. This step is not
required for Sqeezebox users.
- Confirming that Rhapsody is set up to run a UPnP server.
Requirements for installation
- Microsoft Windows XP Home, XP Professional or 2000 Professional.
- A Rhapsody client from Listen.com.
- A paid All Access Rhapsody subscription (untested with a trial or
- SlimServer version 5.1.1 or later. SlimServer 5.2 is necessary for access to RealSlim through the SlimServer web interface.
Installing the plugin
Please shut down both SlimServer (and the slim.exe Windows service)
and Rhapsody before installing RealSlim.
With v0.6, installation on a Windows machine is done via an installer
application - RealSlimSetup.exe. The installer allows you to install
- The RealSlim Plugin that gets installed into SlimServer's Plugins
- Rhapsody extensions that get installed into the Rhapsody application
directory (often C:\Program Files\Listen Rhapsody).
In the most common case, these two components will be intstalled on
the same machine. It is, however, possible to run SlimServer and
Rhapsody on separate machines in the same local area network. In that
case, the installer can be used to selectively install the components
on the two machines.
The RealSlim plugin can also be installed on a non-Windows machine.
In this case, the .zip file containing the plugin binary should be
used (realslim-version-bin.zip). The directory Rhapsody should
be uncompressed to your SlimServer installation's Plugins directory.
If you use a SliMP3 (as opposed to a Squeezebox) or specify the
"Always compress content" preference option, get
lame_enc.dll from either of the following:
Copy the file lame_enc.dll to the Rhapsody application directory (default C:\Program Files\Listen Rhapsody).
RealSlim uses the UPnP standard to communicate with Rhapsody. To
confirm that Rhapsody is speaking UPnP:
- Choose the
User Settings... option from the Options
- Click on the UPnP tab in the settings dialog.
- Check the option Start UPnP Server once logged in.